When I was younger I didn't truly appreciate my mom. She cooked dinner every weeknight, taught me the importance of taking care of my hair when I was six and she let me wear my swimming suit to ride my bike (DON'T JUDGE ME). Most importantly she was always a true lady. She never talked bad about anyone, always went above and beyond to take care of our household and made sure that we learned about the true love of God. I watched my mother be submissive to her husband, go to work everyday and get on her knees and pray every night. She stayed to herself, didn't gossip and never tried to keep up with other people or worry about things that didn't matter.
My immature brain couldn't understand why my mom wasn't loud, why she didn't cuss and fuss and why she always made sure everyone else was okay before she did anything for herself. I didn't appreciate the fact that she always checked with my father before making important decisions and that she didn't just let people "have it" when she was upset. Was she weak? Did she not care?
Now that I'm staring 30 in the face, married and with two children of my own; I am learning that everything I used to think about my mom was wrong. She is incredibly strong, admirably stable and stands up for what is right - no matter what. Throughout both of my pregnancies and the birth of my children she was right there. Not just in the delivery room - but literally uprooting her life and coming to stay in DC for months. Still loving and taking care of her bratty daughter. Cooking dinner, being patient and not slapping me when I truly deserved it. She planned my entire wedding, taught me how to hold my infants and showed me how to make her famous tuna salad. If you don't think that's important - ask my husband:)
I have experienced a lot during my life and have accomplished some pretty lofty goals; but one thing that I know for sure is that being a wife and mother has presented the hardest challenges I have ever faced. I can read a lot of books, talk to countless mentors and vent to my girls - but I am so thankful that I don't HAVE to. All I have to do is refer to the woman that not only gave birth to me but the woman who continues to mother me to this day. She is the only point of reference I need. She doesn't just talk the talk...she walks the walk. You know what, that doesn't even do her justice; she doesn't just walk the walk...she stays on the course. With 41 years of marriage and two children who absolutely adore her under her belt - she's an expert on all things that truly matter. May is a very special month for my mother and I. Not only do we celebrate Mother's Day; but we also celebrate both of our wedding anniversaries - the start of our families. Thank you Mama for always being you. If I can become half of the WOMAN that you are - I will be just fine. I love you on this day and always.
-Puddin'
No comments:
Post a Comment