I know when people look at the title they will first and foremost think about intimate relationships. While that definitely does apply, the concept of knowing your worth is so much bigger than that.
I grew up in a very loving family and my parents did a wonderful job of supporting and encouraging me in every aspect of my life. They were completely invested in my well-being and provided me with all of the tools I needed to face the world on my own. Of course I had butterflies in my stomach when we drove down Georgia Avenue in Washington, DC for the first time to start my adventure at Howard University - but I was ready. I faced the challenge of higher education and living somewhat on my own head-on.
It wasn't until my senior year at Howard, however, when the importance of self-worth was driven home. I remember calling my father excited about one of my first internships. "Daddy, I really like working with these people and I even got to show them some of the things I already know about the industry and I showed them some really cool things with the editing equipment!" While my father was happy to hear that I was excited, he definitely had a few words of advice for me. "Make sure that you are learning from them and getting everything you need out of the internship. You are not supposed to be teaching them - they are supposed to be teaching you."
I got off the phone a little deflated from the conversation until I really took the time to understand what he was saying. He had always instilled the importance of doing my best, being reliable and working hard - but he also wanted me to remember that the relationship should be going both ways and that I needed to make sure it was worth my time.
I never forgot that lesson - with that particular internship and beyond. You have to make sure you are getting what you need out of every relationship you have. It is not enough to give all of yourself only to end up completely exhausted with nothing to take away. I have applied that to every aspect of my life and the outcome has been remarkable. While you will definitely have disappointing moments and setbacks, they will always be easier to recover from if you know your worth. The absolute best thing about knowing your worth is the ability to show love and respect to others. When you know your worth it is easy to recognize the worth of others.
Are you getting everything you need out of your relationships? At work, with your friends and your mate? If not, remember that you are loved, your are special and most importantly, you are uniquely YOU. Thank you daddy for that conversation back in 2002. That wisdom has kept me grounded, focused, prepared and safe...no one will ever take advantage of your "Puddin"... no one.
loved it :)
ReplyDelete