Sunday, September 20, 2009

Birthday Resolutions

If there is one thing I have never outgrown...it is the anticipation of my birthday. When I was younger it had everything to do with birthday cake, lots of toys and birthday parties. As I got older, I started to look at my birthday as the perfect day to start over with whatever I wanted. I stopped eating french fries when I turned 22 and started eating them again when I turned 24. I took Oprah's Boot Camp Challenge when I turned 25 and entered full Bridezilla mode when I turned 26. Who needs a New Year's Resolution when you can have Birthday Resolutions?

Birthdays are a blessing. If you are a parent, have lost a loved one, been seriously ill or have witnessed or been in a life-threatening situation, you know how important a birthday is. They are precious and should be accompanied each year with a new sense of hope and focus. Why are you here this year? What have you done...and did you make a difference? I don't think our birthdays really have that much to do with us. Our birthdays are for the people we have helped along the way.

27 was kind of rough for me and I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever wanted to see September 21st so bad. Don't get me wrong; I am grateful for all of the life lessons learned this year as well as what my hurt and pain has taught me about the love of God. He showed up and showed out an awful lot this year and boy did I need it. 27...I won't say that you'll be missed; but I will say that it was nice to meet you; I don't know why yet but I will find out in time.

I am bringing in 28 with a quiet bang. I want this year to be all about reflection. I want to make a conscious effort to never be ungrateful, forgetful or anxious. I am making room in my house and in my life for peace, prosperity, love and abundant joy. Sadness, pain, hurt and grief just didn't make the cut. I'm sure they will try to show up at my door and in my heart unannounced from time to time...but I'm bringing strength into my 28th year as well...God has some serious plans for me and I'm using this year to do what I have been called to do; play my position and follow His lead.

Happy Birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment