Thursday, September 3, 2009

Training Wheels

My daughter has finally conquered the delicate art of riding a bike without training wheels. The sense of accomplishment written all over her face was enough to make any mother's heart melt. "I did it mommy! I don't need training wheels anymore!" It was true, she didn't need training wheels to ride her bike anymore...but she will always need training wheels.

We all need training wheels, and the sooner we learn and accept that fact - the sooner life can begin. Our parents are training wheels, our experiences are training wheels, and most important of all...the word of God holds a very sturdy set of training wheels. We should never unscrew those wheels because they keep us going. Turn after turn, trip after trip and hurdle after hurdle. I have never felt more at peace than when I feel the support of my necessary training wheels.

When you are frustrated, tired, irritated, deflated, heart-broken, and basically lifeless, it is important to go back to your sources of strength and depend on them to pick you up and breathe life back into your body. I'm not ashamed to say that I still need my parents, I still need to mess up in life, and I still need to pick up the Bible on a regular basis. They keep me grounded, keep me focused and keep me grateful.

Life can get too fast, and when that happens we can forget where we were headed and speed off on our two-wheeler and never look back. That road only leads to destruction. Let's make it a point to slow down, re-discover our training wheels and learn to lean on them. It's okay to fall off your bike, it's not okay to jump back on before you clean up all of your scars and figure out why you fell. That way, the next time you fall...you'll land closer to your destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment