Monday, September 26, 2011

Hello 30...Nice to Meet You:)

All I can do is smile as I think back over the last week and a half of my life. I have been nicknamed "the runaway" because of my state hopping and planned but really not planned vacation and it makes me feel good. Being caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyday made me forget a lot of things. Things that should always be remembered; things that I will make a conscious effort to never forget again. Sometimes life can dish you some pretty severe blows and while we may have recovered...we still need to heal. I didn't know it at the time but my time away was about healing. I thought I was planning a small trip out of town to celebrate turning 30, but in reality this small trip turned into a huge celebration of love, support, guidance and confidence...and it was right on time.

Before I left, I had been extremely hard on myself about how active and busy my brain is, how much detail I put into things and the large amount of goals and expectations I have for my family. I just knew something was wrong with the way my mind worked. But in walks my lifelong friend Tiffany and "twin" cousin Tamara. I live so far away from both of them and they both traveled great distances to help me celebrate my birthday. Just seeing their faces was enough of a birthday gift...but then I remembered...this isn't a coincidence...these girls are my kindred spirits! They have helped me finish my sentences since we were all little girls and even though I have never been close in distance to my cousin and am no longer close in distance to my friend, they have always been very close to my heart. From ordering the same food at restaurants this past week, enjoying the same music, liking the same styles to sharing the same philosophies on life; we shared enough to last a lifetime. My trip ended with a visit from another one of my lifelong friends. If anyone has ever heard me talk about Lauren, they know that I think she is one of the most beautiful people on the inside and out. She always wants the absolute best for me and has always been there in my times of need. Her friendship has been priceless since the 7th grade. Of course it is necessary to have your own opinions, live your own life and do what's best for you and your family...but I can't lie...I forgot how good it felt to rest in similar company, feel normal and completely accept myself for who I am - busy brain and all.

Taking care of a husband and 2 children on a daily basis also made me lose patience with my body and become very unforgiving of myself. Somewhere along the way I forgot all of the things my body went through before my son was born. I forgot that 2 miscarriages, an ectopic pregnancy and a full-term pregnancy all within 2 years is ridiculously traumatic on a woman's body. It wasn't until I got to Alabama that I finally realized that I needed to back off, give myself more grace and mercy and be patient while I workout and eat right. See, I was around a bunch of women that in addition to sharing the same grandparents; we also share the same hips, thighs, legs and butt (Wade Girls Unite:) Don't get me wrong...I love my current city and all of the diversity in it...but I forgot how good it felt to sit around people who look just like me - and know they're beautiful.

When I'm busy putting my best foot forward at work, checking 4th grade homework and figuring out ways to avoid unavoidable traffic, I can forget how precious life itself really is. We get so caught up in the pettiness that life has to offer that we miss the big picture. I saw that picture while laying on my aunt's bed. She had to lay her oldest son to rest back in June and before he passed, she (along with my cousin Tara) took on the responsibility of caring for him and refused to put him in a nursing home. They fed, clothed, nursed and bathed a grown man for years before planning a beautiful service to celebrate his life. I watched this woman talk about how much she missed her son, how she wished she could have done more for him and how she hoped he knew she loved him. Talking to her gave me so much strength. I couldn't even move I was so in awe of this grieving mother as she cooked dinner for me and helped me wash my clothes. This woman is my AUNT...we share the same blood...and while she's been through an awful lot in her life...her biggest concern at that moment was if she had enough washing detergent for my clothes. She reminded me how big life really is...and how it is hardly ever about us.

There are so many more things I could write about my trip and I'm sure I will someday. All in all, I welcome 30 with open arms. I'm excited about what this next decade will bring and I look forward to making more incredible memories. I used to think 30 was so old and far away, but I must say...I think it looks good on me:)

2 comments:

  1. ^^^ I second that. i loved it Taryn! and yes girl, 30 def looks great on u :)

    ReplyDelete