Wednesday, December 26, 2012

2013 - Let's Talk

The thought of a "new beginning" always gets me excited.  Even as a child, on Sunday nights I would write a list of things I wanted to change or do better on 'Monday'.  Now as an adult, I am fully aware that you don't need a 'Monday' or a new year to break a habit, introduce a lifestyle change or try something new - but yet and still I look forward to the traditional end of one season and the beginning of a new one.

Of course, I plan to eat right, keep up with my exercise regimen, create more quality time with my family, perform well at work and continue to grow my fitness business, but I have something more for 2013 up my sleeve...or should I say...in my heart.

I learned a lot about myself this year.  I found out and continue to find out what I'm truly made of when faced with adversity, who is truly in my corner and where I can go when I need to be spiritually re-charged.  Now it is time to take my growth to the next level.  In 2013 I will resolve to walk in love.  It sounds so simple but in reality it is one of the toughest things for me to do on a regular basis.

Walking in love isn't a feeling.  Walking in love isn't a negotiation tool.  Walking in love is not based off of your circumstances or your emotions.  Walking in love is a conscious decision to love EVERYONE - no matter what.  I always thought it was enough to just not hate people but I was wrong.  Walking in love requires you to think positive thoughts on purpose, put others needs ahead of yours on a consistent basis and forgive people who don't care that they offended you and could care less whether you forgive them or not.

This is difficult for me.  I had always been a warrior for fairness.  Everything had to be fair.  When I was little I remember my mother having to warn me that if I said "that's not fair" one more time I was going to be on punishment.  My mom is extremely patient so I must have really been working her nerves.  But even as I got older - if you were mean to me I had no problem being mean to you but if you were nice to me then of course I had no problem extending kindness to you.  The problem is --that's not how life works -- and I'm learning that in order for me to experience true peace and joy; I shouldn't work like that either.

Now that 2013 is less than one week away I am preparing to grow up even more.  I will not treat people the way they treat me.  I will not deal with people according to their past mistakes.  I will not give people exactly what they deserve.  God doesn't give me exactly what I deserve and the least I can do is try my best to return the favor.  Here's to a New Year, a New Beginning, and a New Heart :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment