Sunday, May 11, 2014

It's Mother's Day... but It's So Much More

Mother's Day means so many different things to so many different people.  Mother's Day can be a day of pure excitement filled with breakfasts in bed, gifts, phone calls and the ever-important social media post.  It can also be a day of mourning for people who have lost either their mother or their child.  It can also be a day of indifference for people who don't have a mom to celebrate and couldn't care less about a biological clock or any other kind of clock for that matter.  Just like many other days on the calendar, Mother's Day is what you make it.

I am blessed.   I have an amazing mother, one amazing grandmother still living and another amazing grandmother who has already gone to be with the Lord.  I also have a husband who has taken all of the kids somewhere to leave me alone to do whatever I want to do with both of my hands for the next several hours.  While I know that I have so much to be thankful for, I have also lived long enough to know that not everyone has the same story and that in everyone's life there is always room for improvement.  Mothers are known to go above and beyond everyday to make sure that the people entrusted to their care have everything they need.  These 24 hours are set aside to celebrate us, but I have another challenge for all of us out there.  What else can you give?  

I know... it sounds crazy and downright absurd to bring this up today but I'm going to press my luck.  Is there something else that you can give to your children, your life partners, yourself?  Do you spend so much time "producing" your digital life that your children always see you with your phone in your hands?  Is it time to finally write all of your goals down on a piece of paper and go for them?  Is there a vice that is keeping you from being in the best health of your life...that could ultimately keep you from your children later in life?  Is it time to face fear head on and "do it anyway?"  Only you know what you want out of your own life and the lives of your children.  Only you know what you have to give, what you have to give up and what you have to look in the face.  

I don't have to explain to any mother out there how important it is to "walk the walk" as opposed to "talk the talk."  Our children watch every single last one of our moves.  They will either mock or mimic it as they get older but they are definitely paying close attention.  What legacy do you want to leave to your babies?  If we look to other people to make this day special for us we will always be left just a tad bit disappointed.  Yeah he got the purse but it wasn't the right color, your best friend forgot to "tag" you when she was giving her Mother's Day shout-outs, they cooked dinner but you really wanted to go out, the kids are still fighting (don't they know it's Mother's Day?)  

So for the moms that are being celebrated, the ones that are still waiting and hoping to be celebrated, the ones that don't have a mom to celebrate, the ones that can't wait to be celebrated as a mom, and the ones that wish this day would just go away... make this day and every day a personal holiday.  Challenge yourself to look within, take inventory of what is working, what isn't working, what could work better and adjust accordingly.  We can all celebrate Mother's Day if we look at it as a day of self-care, self-nurturing and a day to give more of ourselves.  

I could go on and on about the benefits of changing your perspective...but I think I'm going to take a nap.  I am taking my own charge to make the most out of this day and everyday that follows and I encourage you to do the same.  Happy Mother's Day to us all...now get out there and enjoy it...or lay down...yeah I'm going to lay down.

1 comment: