Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Don't Look Both Ways!

Even though I have been driving my own car since I was 16 years old, the same man who taught me how to parallel park still takes every opportunity to let me know how I can improve my driving skills.  The last time my father came to visit he gave me some advice on my parking.  "You know Puddin', you only need to pay attention to one side when you're pulling in.  You either make sure you are okay on the right or you make sure you are okay on the left.  You don't need to pay attention to both sides.  If you are fine on one side then pull on in."  Ever since he told me that back in December I have become much more confident in my parking.  Like he advised, when I'm turning my wheel, I just pay attention to one side...if I'm fine on that one side...I pull the car on in.

Life is a lot like that.  When we try to pay attention to too many things at the same time we can end up all over the place and possibly crashing some things along the way.  If the goal is to move forward daily to get closer to our destination we better learn how to pay attention to one side and keep it moving.  If you are trying to advance in your career you need to keep your eyes on your projects and not look over at your co-worker who is always goofing off.  If you want to lose weight you already know that you need to keep your eyes off the cookies - the fruit is THE OTHER WAY.  If you are working to strengthen and maintain your marriage then it would be a great idea to keep your eyes on your mate and not on the people urging you to move on.  If you are working toward your financial freedom, why would you watch the home shopping network?  

It seems all so easy but we are also so very easily influenced.  There is no doubt that there are many times when the surprises of life catch us off guard and we have to change course, pick up the pieces and adjust our focus.  These times are guaranteed and when they come we have to face them head on.  I'm not writing about those times.  I'm talking about the times when you have made a decision.  The times where you not only map out your life in your head but also deep down in your spirit.  It is in those times that it is important that we pick a focal point and stick to it.  

If you have decided to go get your degree, why are you worried about people who waste all of their days away?  If you want to buy a house, why are you still looking at the apartments section on Craig's List?  If your goal is to be a better spouse or parent, why are you breaking your neck to attend all of the weekly Happy Hours?  Stay focused, stay encouraged, stay the course and most importantly - don't be double-minded.  Live your life with true peace.  Decide what you are going to do and do it.  Take the keys, get behind the wheel, put on your seat belt, look in the direction you want to go and pull on in!!

1 comment: