I grew up surrounded by men who worked their fingers to the bone to support their families. I have never understood when an able-bodied person said "I can't" or "I don't know how" and never tried. It is no secret that I'm a daddy's girl but I'm going to take it back just one more generation.
As a little girl I would see my grandfather's picture in newspapers, I would admire the countless awards he received throughout the years for his athleticism or entrepreneurship and I loved to go to his printing shop to look through photo albums and get a coca-cola that still came in the glass bottle. I knew he was well-respected in the community and I remember watching him one evening as he cashed my cousin's paycheck out of his own pocket because the bank had already closed. He never missed a birthday, holiday or a wedding for any of his children, grandchildren or great grandchildren. I am so thankful and proud that he was in charge of printing my wedding invitations and programs and that he was the one who blessed the food at the reception.
At 94 years old Robert T. Wade still got up and went to work everyday, entertained guests for weekly games of pinochle and dominoes, taught Sunday school, and never met a slice of cake he didn't like. He always told me that I didn't have a choice but to be special because my birthday is in September like his and to always live life with purpose because the minute you stop will be the minute you start to die. He would sing to my oldest daughter, play golf with my son and I am so extremely blessed that he got to hold my baby girl this past summer. I still laugh when I think about him calling me on my birthday this past September. Thank God I still have the voicemail. I didn't recognize the number but of course we talked once I realized that my 94 year-old grandfather had a cell phone.
He left us on March 22nd and we said goodbye to him this past Saturday. It was absolutely one of the hardest things I have ever done. There was one moment at the burial where I looked around at the family and thought "wow, we are holding up pretty well." As I watched my uncle receive my grandfather's retired flag from the U.S. Navy I had another thought. "Why am I surprised? We know what we are made of. This may be tough and take a while to even sink in but we are his legacy." Daddy Bob, because of you we are here and because you were a man of great character, integrity, compassion and strength you will never leave our hearts. Thank you Daddy Bob, we have no choice to but be okay...no, not okay...extraordinary because that is all you ever showed us. I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment